Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Be Strong...Think Stronger!!


Walk into most gyms and you will see strong guys. In my eyes, "Strong" is a relative term. What is considered strong to some might be seen as note worthy to others.
Most gyms will have a few guys curling 60lbs dumbells in one corner and then some guy leg pressing 500lbs in another corner. That is all fine and dandy but what does it take to be really strong? I mean the type of strong that makes the bar bend and the ground shake.
Strength is very important to every athelete but in my world, being strong takes on a whole different meaning. Being strong and mostly importantly, moving heavy weight is probably 10% physical and 90% mental. Most guys will never reach their true strength potential because they lack the mental aspect of lifting.
I see alot of guys laughing and joking around before they do a heavy set and they end up walking away from the set looking like they saw a ghost! I just never understand that mentality.
Focus is key. Before, during and after a heavy set and especially when you are attempting a new 1 rep maximum (which most guys NEVER do!!)
1RM's are so important because they require the most focus. They are cornerstone in any true powerlifting program because they give you a clear idea of where you are in term of your program.
In order for you to know if you are mentality prepared to be strong, let me take you through MY thought process for a typical deadlift maximum lift attempt . Hopefully this will motivate you to focus a little more...





The Lift...
______________________________________________________________________

Before I even walk into the gym I think about the lift a week in advance. I try and imagine how the weight will feel and how it will look when I lock it out. Always remember that confidence is what moves weight.
As I walk inot the gym nothing distracts me. I might talk to a few people here and there but once i Put on my headphones I know its time to go to work. I walk to the squat rack and see the bar sitting there. Waiting for me.
I turn my music on and go through my mobility drills and warm up. These are more cues to help me build up to the lift. I stay focused.
I go through my warm up lifts and then finally, I put my maximum weight on the bar.
Once the collars are on and the weight is set, I always walk away. I stand there and listen to my music while I stare at the bar. I see the bar as my enemy. That loaded bar is the thing standing between me and victory. I tell myself that there is no failure and that victory is the only option. I will lift this weight.
As i walk up to the bar my music is blasting but I don't hear it. The music is more to drown out any distracting noise and less to build me up. As i stand in front of the bar, my confidence is sky high. I watch myself chalk up my hands. My hands are fully covered in beautiful white glory. I will succeed. I will lift this weight.
The slowly begin to go into a controlled rage. I no longer feel like my normal self. All i am thinking about is the bar. I pull my hat down as far as it will go. As I slowly grip the bar, I can feel my knuckles tighten. They feel strong...I will lift this weight.
I get into my stance. At this point, the mechanics of the lift are automatic. All I have to think about is moving this bar.
I open my eyes as wide as I can, take a giant breath of air and then I pull!
The bar lifts off the ground but feels heavy. I can't think it's heavy. I have to pull harder. Don't let the bar win! Pull harder! Pull faster!
My eyes are closed but I can feel the bar. All i feel is the bar. It's going up. I can't give up. I will lift this weight.
Hips forward! Drive the heels! Hips! HIPS!! almost there! Just have to lock it out...SO CLOSE!
I open my eyes and I am standing with the bar in my hands. The weight feels so light now. I could stand here all day long!
I drop the bar and feel like I'm going to pass out. My traps feel like they have been ripped out and my back is so tight that i can hardly stand...I can't wait for next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment